BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Thanksgiving Camping Trip

So, I had to work on Thursday until 12:15, they really needed me to stay but I really didn't want too. I also figured that since I was already losing the time & a half pay because of taking off on Friday, then what was the point. I needed this break. I had a million things to do before we left anyway.

We left here at like 3:30 & got there at almost 5:30. They still have a lot of the campground closed off so there weren't very many spots to choose from, the one we ended up picking was site 13 & it was perfect. After we pulled in & got out we realized that we had been there before, at that site, it is huge. We camped at that site when we camped Feb of 07, when it got to like 30 something at night, LOL.

I took this picture on Sat.



One thing we did notice is that alot of the vegetation through the park has been burned. We think that it was from precsribed fire as opposed to natural wild fires. The pine lands thrive on fire so they periodically prescribe fire to help simulate what nature is meant to do.

I was a little disappointed at first because I thought it would take away from that private feeling we always got when we camped there but really it was fine. They really do have the layout in that campground set up very nicely.

We got the tent set up before dark but we ended up setting up everything else in the dark. It wasn't as bad as I had always assumed it would be. Then we settled in around the camp fire at about 8pm to enjoy a nice Thanksgiving meal consisting of grilled cheeses sandwiches & smores.

It got down in the 50s that night so it as quite chilly. I actually woke up alot through the night, basically whenever I moved & hit a cold spot on the bed, which was wherever my body was not at, LOL.

We got up early on Friday & had bagels & coffee/hot cocoa, while waiting for Kid to arrive. He got there around 12, I guess. The kids were so excited. We had lunch & headed over to the Anihinga Trail to see if we could see any gators.

At the start of the trail.




The Everglades are still very very wet for this time of the year, I was quite surpised & very happy, LOL. Though because of how wet it still is, we didn't see very many gators. As the dry season continues, the more the Glades dry up, then the gators congregate where the water is.

But Cheyenne spotted this little baby on the right side of the trail, a place we have never seen a gator before. He was so freaking small & soo cute, we just wanted to pick him up, LOL.



He looks like he is smiling, LOL.



Like I said we only saw a few gators, this big boy being one of them.





And this smaller one.



And we did see a few in the water.

I love this picture because of the way the clouds are reflecting off the water, it was just really neat. It was an absolutely beautiful day!!



But it was nice being together as a family. I felt kind of out of my comfort zone a few times, because we never do anything together as a family. It almost felt like dating, and introducing my new boyfriend to my kids, at least how I imagine it would feel like. It was kind of a bizarre feeling at times.



After the Anhinga Trail we walked the short Gumbo Limbo trail, reading signs & learning stuff, LOL. This was a cool picture, just a little water hole, but it looked so wild.



That is one reason I love the Everglades so much, there is so much wildness down there. Like when we walk the various trails, the boardwalks lead through a tangle of trees, it's hard to image people & animals being able to weave their way through.

Then a short stop at the Visitors Center. Where I bought a magnet to add to the fridge. I decided from now on, wherever we go, I am buying a magnet, it is a cheap & easy way to collect souvenirs.

Posing with the Panther, LOL.





Then we headed to Walmart to pick up some ice & ant spray, we managed to somehow put the table in a pile of red ants.

We ended up stopping at this little store not far from the campground, it was like 4:30, the sign said it closes at 5, but the reason we stopped was for ice, it was amazingly much cheaper than Walmart. The old lady was eating when we walked in & she gave us kind of a nasty look & asked what she could get us & when we said 3 bags of ice, she said "Oh" & her whole demeanor changed, it was quite funny, LOL. I'm guessing she was annoyed at the possibility of messing up her clean grill so close to closing .

Anyway, Briana & Zach wanted a picture with the rather fake looking gator in the parking lot.







When we got back to the campsite we decided to have the fire & make hot dogs before we headed back to the Trail to see if we could see the eye shine of some gators. I just love that trail at night. Again, we saw a few, not much at all though, but at least Kid could get an idea of what we are always talking about.

We relit the camp fire & ate smores. Zach crawled up in my lap & fell asleep. I just loved holding him like a baby again. I grab those moments whenever I can!! However, because he fell asleep the way he did, he ended up peeing the bed. Thankfully I always prepare for anything so I was able to change him & the sheets rather quickly. The kids all settled in the tent & fell asleep pretty fast.

Kid & I sat around the fire, talking, drinking beer, LOL. I told him alot of shit, I also told him that I feel like he doesn't trust me & he needs to set everything he has read & heard aside. I have set a bunch of shit aside & now it is his turn. I'm not sure if he can or will, but I said my peace. I am quite happy with the way that night turned out.

Alright, I am really tired. I'll finish this tomorrow before I go to work. I don't have to wotk at the cleaners & I don't start at Walmart until 2:30 so I'll have the whole morning. I won't be able to do much cleaning as I hurt my back, so no bending for me.

I also had my second phone interview today for food stamps. It looks promising, I hope *sigh*.

Okay, night all.

1 comments:

Quinn said...

That looks like so much fun! I so glad that he came, at least for the kids sake! I am so jealous of all the shorts and t shirts! I hope the foodstamp thing goes through fast now! I have never heard of a phone interview before, and espescially TWO! UGH