BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, February 16, 2012

Your God vs. my God...

Religion:

1. a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, especially when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.
2. a specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by a number of persons or sects: the Christian religion; the Buddhist religion.
3. the body of persons adhering to a particular set of beliefs and practices: a world council of religions.
4. the life or state of a monk, nun, etc.: to enter religion.
5. the practice of religious beliefs; ritual observance of faith.

This word & the battle of beliefs have been the one thing holding me back from believing in God. Being a stubborn woman has always dictated my opinion on this matter. I don't want to believe in your God, what you believe in is your personal choice. And what I believe in is mine. Day after day I witness "holy" self righteous people doing the exact opposite of what they are preaching. I cannot bring myself to believe in their God. When someone throws their God in my face & tells me what I believe is wrong, I will get defensive & I will fight it. I don't want to believe in your God, in my eyes what you are preaching is the exact opposite of what is at my core, what is in my soul.

In Native American history (at least my perception of history based on what I have been told or taught), when a young warrior comes of age & he is sent out to meditate (I guess that's the right word), to find his spirit, he fasts & does not sleep until his totem comes to him. I feel like that warrior discovering my totem, or in other words, my God.

In my quest to learn about something that I believe in, that I didn't even realize existed, I came across a passage in this book,
Many Paths, One Destination: Love, Peace, Compassion, Tolerance, and Understanding Through World Religions by Ram Ramakrishnan. Page 198 thru part of page 199, 'Love, the way to God' is very enlightening. To read this is to see the core of my beliefs in writing. All this time I have been fighting God, I have been fighting a belief that is already instilled in my very soul. Where this belief came from, I'll never know, but my God is a loving God. The way I choose to live my life, the way I choose to treat other people is a loving God that has always been inside of me, maybe I just needed to see it in writing with my own eyes.

0 comments: